Assistant/Associate Director, University Events
Company: Colgate University
Posted on: August 3, 2022
Assistant/Associate Director, University Events Position Title
Assistant/Associate Director, University Events Full Time/Part Time
Full Time Division Office of University Communications Department
Office of University Communications Department Statement University
Communications and Events seeks to inspire the nation and the world
by telling the Colgate story. We drive the clarity and consistency
of the University's message in order to build awareness, protect
the University's reputation, attract the best and brightest, and
foster lasting relationships. - Accountabilities Located in the
Office of University Communications and Events and reporting to the
Director, University Events, this position is accountable for the
overall successful and efficient administration of events for the
University. Specific accountabilities include:
- Event Production - responsible for execution of various levels
of events from routine to complex in support of
- Financial Controls - responsible for building an accurate and
thorough budget and adherence to the budget throughout the planning
process. Ensure that cost avoidance/saving measures are
- Branding and content guidance - understand, apply and promote
internal client's vision while providing direction on University
- Event closing - provide internal clients with a reconciled
budget, scheduling post conference debrief / surveys and generate
feedback. Name Event Planning Description
- Demonstrated ability to plan, manage, coordinate or oversee
events small and large scale with high visibility requiring a high
level of coordination and collaboration.
- Demonstrated ability to source and negotiate favorable contract
terms and service delivery from vendors.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate both in writing and
verbally all aspects of planning events.
- Demonstrated ability to recognize and resolve problems in a
timely manner, using sensitivity, discretion, and political
- Ability to accurately disseminate information to internal and
external constituents regarding events. Name Description
- Demonstrated ability to prepare and manage department budgets
as well as individual event budgets. Name Technology Description
- Demonstrated mastery of relevant key databases and software
sufficient to efficiently execute event marketing and
- Ability to review and approve error-free copy on the web and
for email distributions Name Customer Service Description
- Demonstrated ability to answer or otherwise satisfy
administrative inquiries to the division/function using exceptional
customer service skills.
- Knowledge sufficient to redirect any special events inquiries
to the most appropriate resource.
- Able to build relationships with multiple constituents and
across the university.
- Demonstrated ability to work cooperatively with campus
constituents as well as external constituents Name Description
- Demonstrated skill in vendor selection and contract negotiation
- Demonstrated ability to manage vendors and ensure they perform
to expectations. Name Brand Management Description
- Able to consistently reflect and represent the Colgate identity
in all aspects of events.
- Able to collaborate with clients and University departments to
ensure compliance with policies and standards around brand
identity. Name Personal Accountability for Results Description
Takes responsibility for decisions, performance, and outcomes;
behaves in a responsible manner with a positive attitude; shows
self-awareness and openness to feedback. Name Effective
Communication Description Demonstrates effective written and oral
communication skills; shares information and seeks input from
others; adapts communication to diverse audiences; protects private
and confidential information. Name Problem Solving and Decision
Making Description Analyzes and prioritizes situations to identify
and solve problems; generates solutions to improve efficiency and
quality; involves others in solving problems and making decisions;
factors organizational goals into decisions; makes clear,
transparent, and timely decisions. Name Change Management
Description Responds positively to changing university initiatives
and readily adapts behavior to maintain effective performance;
understands the long-term direction of the university and can
relate this to departmental area; adapts to new methodologies;
identifies and acts on areas where change is appropriate. Name
Leadership and Teamwork Description Applies skills and knowledge to
provide a climate to achieve departmental and organizational
success; balances individual and department goals; helps others
perform at their best; builds productive relationships to enhance
individual and organizational effectiveness; treats others with
respect; resolves conflicts among team members. Name Creativity and
Innovation Description Generates, explores, encourages, and
implements innovative ways of creating strategic value for the
university, division, department, and individual level; critically
assesses the effectiveness of new initiatives. Name Diversity and
Inclusion Description Demonstrates respect for people and their
differences; understands the benefits of a diverse workforce; earns
the trust and respect of others; includes and welcomes others;
works to understand the perspective of others; promotes
opportunities to experience diversity within our community. Name
Sustainability Description Understands the impact of decision
making and personal behavior in achieving the university's
commitment to a sustainable and carbon-neutral campus; supports and
advances the university's sustainability initiatives; influences
others to use sustainable practices. Requirements Professional
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills and a highly
- Must be able to work collegiality with a diverse group of
constituents on a daily basis.
- Knowledge and understanding of concepts, principles, and
practices of event planning, including event design, vendor
relations, organization, branding and production.
- Demonstrated written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to apply good judgment and professionalism
while multitasking and managing high pressure situations.
- Demonstrated capability to work collegially with a diverse
group of faculty, staff and students on a daily basis.
- Ability to manage multiple projects with varying
- Demonstrated project management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to manage budgets.
- Must be creative, and capable of brainstorming with a team and
enthusiastic about event management.
- Excellent computer skills required and strong knowledge of a
variety of software programs, especially Microsoft Word and Excel,
are essential. A willingness and desire to learn new database
programs and technology is a plus.
- Knowledge of safety regulations and other federal/state/local
laws and regulations preferred. Preferred Qualifications Education
A Bachelor's degree or comparable professional experience is
required. Certifications Physical Requirements Ability to work
evening and weekends, as required.
Ability to stand for long periods.
Ability to lift 30 lbs. Other Information Diversity Statement
Colgate has a diverse student, faculty, staff, and alumni
population representing a variety of races, gender identities,
social economic status, sexual orientations, languages, national
origins, etc. Our Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Plan presents a
framework for continuing the creation of an inclusive campus and
engaging the Colgate community in this effort in the years
Please describe how you would connect and work with a diverse
community. The statement can be any length (e.g. paragraph or
page). You can upload the statement under the Diversity Statement
document heading. For information on how to write a diversity
statement, see our Guidance on Crafting Diversity Statements .
Requisition Number 2022S086Posting Temporary No Work Schedule
Weekdays, with occasional weekends. Job Open Date 07/12/2022 Job
Close Date Open Until Filled Yes Special Instructions Summary EEO
Statement It is the policy of Colgate University not to
discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on
the basis of their race, color, creed, religion, age, sex,
pregnancy, national origin, marital status, disability, protected
Veterans status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression,
genetic information, being or having been victims of domestic
violence or stalking, familial status, or any other categories
covered by law. Colgate is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action
employer. Candidates from historically underrepresented groups,
women, persons with disabilities, and protected veterans are
encouraged to apply. Clery Act CAMPUS CRIME REPORTING AND
The Campus Safety Department will provide upon request a copy of
Colgate's Annual Security and Fire Safety Report. This report
includes statistics as reported to the United States Department of
Education for the previous three years concerning reported: 1.
crimes that occurred on-campus; in certain off-campus buildings or
property owned or controlled by Colgate University; and on public
property within, or immediately adjacent to and accessible from,
the campus and 2. fires that occurred in student housing
facilities. The report also includes institutional policies
concerning campus security and fire safety, such as policies
concerning sexual assault, life safety systems, and other related
matters. To obtain a copy, contact the Campus Safety Compliance
Manager via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org . You may also access
the report from the Campus Safety web page at:
Questions Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Are you currently a Colgate employee?
- * Have you ever been a Colgate employee?
- * Are you at least 18 years of age?
- * Do you have a spouse/domestic partner who currently is, or
will be, employed at Colgate University?
- * Please let us know how you heard about this position.
- Albany Times Union
- Binghamton Press & Sun
- Cazenovia Republican
- Chronicle of Higher Education
- Chronicle of Philanthropy
- Colgate Employee
- Colgate Website
- Diverse Issues of Higher Education
- HERC (Upstate New York HERC)
- Mid-York Weekly
- NCAA News
- Norwich Evening Sun
- Oneida Daily Dispatch
- Sherburne News
- Syracuse Post Standard
- Utica Observer Dispatch
- Waterville Times
- If you selected "Colgate Employee" or "Other" for how you heard
about this position, please provide the employee's name or where
you heard about/saw the position.(Open Ended Question)
Keywords: Colgate University, Hamilton , Assistant/Associate Director, University Events, Executive , Hamilton, Ohio
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!