Medical Director - 1.00 FTE Hamilton A&I
Company: Wexford Health Sources, Inc.
Posted on: February 15, 2021
Medical Director - 1.00 FTE Hamilton A&I Wexford Health
Sources, the nation's leading innovative correctional health care
company, provides clients with experienced management and
technologically advanced services, combined with programs that
control costs while ensuring quality. For nearly two decades,
Wexford Health has consistently delivered proven staffing expertise
and a full range of medical, behavioral health, pharmacy,
utilization management, provider contracting, claims processing,
and quality management services. At Wexford Health our philosophy
is that health care should not be considered a luxury for anyone.
We simply care for those in need and the corrections environment is
our venue. Wexford Health has an exceptional opportunity for a--
Medical Director-- to join our team of healthcare professionals at
Hamilton A&I Correctional Facility in--Hamilton, Alabama. We're
proud to offer a competitive benefits package including:
- Annual review with performance increase
- Generous paid-time off program that combines vacation and sick
- Paid holidays
- Comprehensive health insurance through Blue Cross Blue
- Dental and Vision insurance
- 401(k) retirement saving plans
- Company-paid short-term disability
- Healthcare and dependent care spending account POSITION
The Medical Director is responsible for providing the overall
supervision of the delivery of medical services at the correctional
facility. The Medical Director attends patients, provides medical
consultations for the medical staff and institutional officials,
and functions as the liaison for clinical matters with medical
providers outside the institution. The Site Medical Director is
expected to function at the level of a Primary Care Provider (PCP),
performing any skill a PCP would perform in an office. The
incumbent coordinates the services of physicians, physician
extenders (e.g., physician assistants, nurse practitioners, etc.)
and any other medical professionals working within the medical
facilities at their site. Participates in the development of
medical/clinical policies and procedures. Serves as a liaison
between the medical/clinical staff, correctional site operations,
WHS' regional and corporate staff, and Alabama correctional and
medical leadership. The Medical Director ensures that all
activities of the health care unit are conducted in accordance with
standards of medical care delineated by state regulations, AMA and
ACA standards. DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES
- Evaluate all existing medical programs and assess the health
care needs of the inmate population, making recommendations
regarding medical programs or services as appropriate.
- Assist in designing and implementing policies, procedures and
protocol for health care unit and medical staff.
- Report any problems and/or unusual incidents to the Health
Services Administrator, Physician Director or Program
- Attend staff meetings and participate on various committees as
requested by the Health Services Administrator or designee.
- Conduct inmate sick call on days and at times authorized by the
- Examine, diagnose and treat inmates referred to the Medical
- Review and/or monitor the staff physician review of all
laboratory, x-ray and ancillary reports, and ensure that the review
is documented on inmates' charts.
- Assure examination and initial emergency medical treatment to
all persons who are injured or become ill while on the premises.
These persons shall then be referred to their personal physician of
choice for necessary follow-up care.
- Provide 24-hour on call emergency care to the correctional
- Provide minor surgical treatment at the institution as deemed
medically appropriate to include suturing for minor
- Formulate written individual treatment plans for inmates with
medical problems, which include directions to health care and other
personnel regarding their roles in the care and supervision of
- Conduct infirmary rounds, or ensure that another physician
- Conduct intake and annual examinations on inmates as provided
for by appropriate procedures or as dictated by sound medical
- Participate in recruitment of health care staff as requested by
the Physician Director.
- Supervise and evaluate the clinical activities of all health
care staff, including:
- Supervising infirmary rounds made on patients by other
- Evaluating services and treatment provided by other staff
physicians, physician's assistants/nurse practitioners and other
health care staff.
- Properly completing employee evaluations for those employees
under the Medical Director's direct supervision in accordance with
applicable Wexford Health policy.
- Assisting in planning schedules of health care staff to provide
optimal coverage, when requested.
- Implement and direct the quality assurance program including,
but not limited to, conducting audit and medical chart review
procedures as identified in the Wexford Health QA manuals.
- Participate in and ensure that all new health care personnel
are provided with orientation on site regarding medical
- In conjunction with the Health Services Administrator, direct
the development of the correctional facility's continuing medical
education curriculum and oversee a program providing in-service
education and communicate such to the corporate HR Department.
- Participate in ensuring that staff members receive training as
necessary to ensure proper performance of their medical
- Provide verification to the Corporate Medical Director of
admitting privileges at the hospital.
- Make referrals and arrangements with medical specialists as
needed for treatment of those inmates with health problems
extending beyond the scope and capability of on-site services
provided (subject to the security coverage of the facility.
- Review the health care status of inmates admitted to outside
hospitals to ensure that the duration of the hospitalization is
- Ensure that discharge summaries are furnished to the
correctional institution by the hospital in a timely fashion.
- Maintain the confidentiality of inmate records.
- Promote cost control through effective supply inventory, staff
education, security and efficient use of supplies and
- Provide input into developing needed policies and
- Actively participate in committee assignments. The duties and
responsibilities outlined herein are for payroll purposes only;
employees may be assigned other duties as required. ENVIRONMENTAL
CONDITIONS Standard medical setting in a correctional facility,
which includes daily interfacing with inmates, correctional staff
and health care personnel.
Temperature extremes may be encountered while moving throughout the
facility outdoors and indoors in buildings without air
conditioning. TRAVEL:--Minimal travel throughout region and state
is required. LICENSING:--Current Alabama Medical License
CERTIFICATION:--DEA Certification; Current CPR Certification; CCHP
preferred EDUCATION:--Medical Degree required PREFERRED EXPERIENCE:
- Minimum of three (3) year experience in an institutional
healthcare setting. Receive relevant communications and updates
from our organization. Share job opportunities with family and
friends through email. Wexford Health participates in the E-Verify
program. Click Here to review the English language version -
Spanish language version
As a qualified individual with a disablity or disabled veteran, you
have the right to request a reasonable accommodation if you are
unable or limited in your ability to use or access the online
system as a result of your disability. firstname.lastname@example.org
Keywords: Wexford Health Sources, Inc., Hamilton , Medical Director - 1.00 FTE Hamilton A&I, Executive , Hamilton, Ohio
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!